Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Auction Continued...

I had my horse!  So, the next item on the agenda was getting a horse for Jessica.  She was outbid on the horse she had wanted.  She was disappointed and unsure what to do next.  She couldn't decide if she should try to bid on another one of her picks or wait until after the auction to choose a pool horse for $200.  We watched as several horses went to pool.  Some of her other picks came through the ring but they really didn't stand out the way that mare did.  Finally, a grey gelding that she had been thinking about came through.  He seemed calm amid the excitement of the auction.  He trotted around, not the big extended trot of the mare, but a nice lofty trot with some suspension.  He was number 2 or 3 on Jessica's list.  The bidding started to rise on him.  She asked me what I thought... I thought she should go ahead and bid.  She didn't get into the bidding until it was all the way up to $800 and no one went higher!  She had gotten her horse.  It wasn't her first pick, but he is still a good horse.  I kept reminding her, these horses are what we make of them.  I know she will do a fantastic job with him.

Once we had both of our horses, and Chewy had his two bay geldings, we went to get our truck and trailer to load up and head home.  Loading went well and was quite smooth thanks to the wonderful BLM and MHF staff.  We were on the road by close to 4, but got stuck in Fort Worth traffic.  After that it was pretty smooth sailing though.  The horses rode well once the sun went down and it wasn't so hot in the trailer.  We made it back home around 10 the next morning (maybe it was 11... I don't quite recall...)  We had to unload the horses again to separate them all out since only mine was going to stay at my barn.  That worked out well though and all the horses were cooperative.  I decided to give her a break and get accustomed to her new surroundings before trying to get to know her so we headed out for lunch and a much needed nap.  I would go back in the afternoon to learn more about her...

1 comment:

Paint Girl said...

I've been through the auction experience before (not with mustangs) but it has to be the most stressful thing ever!! I am so happy to hear that you got your first pick and I can't wait to see it!!!