Thursday, March 1, 2012

Weeks go by so fast when you're training a wild horse...

Tomorrow is Friday already. I can't believe how fast this week went by. Oakley has had more good moments than bad this week, which is a big improvement on last week.

Wednesday I had some friends out again and we really worked through what she needed to learn about people watching from the sidelines. I had my friends seated in the corner of the arena again. Every time we would go by she would want to fade away and speed up. I worked hard to show her that listening to my aids and staying on the path I set for her was an easier option than wanting to shy away. In the end she got it. I was happy with that. I was also really surprised that she let a friend approach while I was up top and hand me a camera. I was able to hand it back too! Pretty impressive for Oakley...

Today I rode in the morning and had an okay session. She wanted to rush so I worked on finding a good pace and teaching her to relax a little. She still has a long way to go. When I came back this afternoon I just did some ground work. I revisited a lesson I had started with her a couple weeks ago, dragging a tire. The first time I did it was at the end of a really strenuous session, so she didn't really care what was following her around. I also only did it off of her good side(left). Today I revisited the lesson and started again with the left, no problem. As soon as I switched sides and that tire moved all four feet were in the air and she kicked straight out at the tire! It was really something. I was able to bring her mind back to me pretty quickly, which hasn't always been the case when she gets upset, so I was happy about that. By the end she was dragging the tire at the walk and the trot very relaxed. I am so happy with my girl.


No comments: