Friday, March 30, 2012

Adjustment

The chiropractor came out yesterday. I have never had anything like this done with my horses before, and I wouldn't call myself a skeptic, but I do wonder if I will see any changes. I gave her the day off today. I had her look at the saddle fit as well and it turns out that both of the saddles I've used on Oakley are too wide. I have a few options. I can use my dressage saddle... which isn't a bad way to go, but I wanted to show Oakley as a western horse. The next option is using a modified pad. I stopped by a local saddle maker's shop yesterday and talked with him about my problem. I ended up buying a pad that should help fill out the areas where there is a void, but I think this is a temporary solution. The third option is to find and borrow a saddle that fits her. Many people have offered, but sometimes I just don't feel right using someone else's saddle... especially on a young horse. I would feel terrible if something happened to it.

Tomorrow my plan is to just use my dressage saddle and see how she goes. We are traveling to Slinger to meet up with some other Mustang trainers for a demo. It should be a lot of fun. I am looking forward to it. Hopefully someone will be around to take photos.

Well I will keep you all posted on how Oakley does. I have my fingers crossed that the adjustment and saddle changes make a difference in how reactive she is.

No comments: