Monday, January 30, 2012

Day 4

I had another good day with Oakley. She has really come around fast. She is still jumpy now and again, but she has it figured out that I am easy on her when she's near me and she has to work when she's away. That really helps in showing her that I'm not all too bad.

This morning I got up early to work her. I had a farrier appointment at 8:30 so I got out to the barn at about 6:40. I wasn't really planning on saddling her because I didn't want to be rushed knowing I had an appointment coming up. Things were going really well though so I figured I'd give it a try. She really impressed me. I thought I'd get a buck or two out of her, but she went around like it was no big deal. The stirrups and saddle strings didn't bother her at all as she trotted around. What a nice girl she's turning out to be! I am now able to lead her to and from her stall instead of having to chase her, which is nice. Tomorrow my project is going to be teaching her to walk with me instead of behind me. I don't like having to drag my horse around.

Tonight I went back and we did some more work on the ground. I started to brush out her tail, but then I thought I'd wait a little longer to do that project because I don't want to rip out any of it. I will need to wash it before I brush it out completely. She has let me touch her everywhere now without much fuss. The only thing I have yet to do is cross over behind her. So far I have just been walking around the front of her from one side to the next. When my farrier was out for my other horses he had asked me if I'd handled her feet much yet, I really haven't other running my hands down. I started tonight with the rope and asking her to lift them off the ground for just a second or two. She was a good girl. Tonight she tried some grain for the first time too. I don't think she really enjoyed it though. She is kind of a picky eater. She hasn't been finishing all of her hay, but she picks through and eats the leafy stuff. I am sure she'll figure it out.

Well I have lots to do tomorrow so I am going to get some sleep! Enjoy the video from day 4!


No comments: