Monday, October 25, 2010

Fall


So here's a picture of Rem, pretending to be a dressage horse... but with a close contact saddle... it's all I've got right now, and I guess it's closer than a Western saddle, so I'll take it. I have been riding him a lot lately, practicing our working trot and leg yields. He's doing well, and I've noticed a big improvement in how he accepts contact. He is even starting to gain some self-carriage without me having to hold him.

He's going to have to revert back to a western pony two weekends from now though. There is an "Extreme Play Day" competition that I am going to enter with him and Risk. It pays out to 6 places, so I'm hoping to do well. I have confidence, but hopefully I'm not over confident... I need to practice a few things, but most of what they say is involved, my horses have done. The thing I am worried most about is the jumps, which aren't supposed to be taller than 2 ft, but that's one of the things I've never worked on with my horses.

Last Friday I took Flirt to a Friday night fun show. It was the first show I've taken her to and she did really well. We didn't place (the class we entered had 23 horses) but she was really consistent. I was proud of her! She is going to be one of those horses you can take anywhere and you don't have to worry about a thing.

Well, that's my update for now, I'll let you all know how the play day goes. Hopefully I can bring someone along to take photos... though I'm not sure who yet.

Have a good week!

2 comments:

aurora said...

Always good to keep learning new things. Have you ever thought of trying Western Dressage? I would like to, but I'd need a different horse lol. For some reason you never hear about it around here, other then Midwest.

Sounds like you've got a fun show planned. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Rising Rainbow said...

All the different types of saddles make me crazy. Then when you add in getting one to fit horse and rider both, I really get nuts but you're right a close contact would be closer to a dressage saddle than a western one.

I hope the show went well.