Saturday, June 5, 2010

Horses, horses and more horses

Me and Rem in the pasture

I need to get back in the swing of blogging on a regular basis! But, it is summer, I find it much easier to blog in the winter.

Here is an update on how my own horses are doing...

Risk is mostly enjoying the back pasture, and getting very fat. I take her and use her as a lesson horse for a young girl once a week. Other than that, she has had it easy these past couple weeks because I've been so busy. I need to get on her and try some of the new training techniques I've learned. I think she could benefit from quite a few of them.

Remington is getting ridden more than Riskie, but probably not as often as I should. The Open 4 H June show is coming up on the 19th and I'd like to have him ready to show. I want to do trail and Western Horsemanship with him, and possibly a jackpot walk/trot class. We'll see. He was doing really good for a few weeks and then I gave him a break. The next time I got on, he had quite the attitude, so I had to work through that. He did really well for me last night though. I have been stuck in the small indoor arena because of the rain, and there isn't a whole lot I can accomplish in there. Hopefully things will dry out soon!

Flirt is a Rock Star! She has had a little break too, but she has NO problems picking up where we left off. This little 3 year old has quite the mature mind. It's so nice when they are like that. I ponied her down the road and through a creek the other day. At first she didn't want to go in the water, but once she finally did go in she was fine and walked right in the next time. I have tried out a few of the things I've learned from my trainer on her and she picks them up right away (faster than Rem did!) Her personality is rather aloof on the ground, but it seems to me she does her best to please me when she's undersaddle. I'm just really happy I found a horse like her to work with.

Well, that's about it as far as the horses. I am looking forward to the show in 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll have some pics and maybe video to share! Hope you all have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Sounds like you've been very busy. Good luck on the 4-H horse show. I used to show in 4-H and I always found it to be so much fun.