Friday, April 2, 2010

Flirt's First Week

Well I've been keeping busy with horses all week. I've ridden so many I can't even keep track of them all. Last night I went to team roping and got to rope off of Brady and Willy. They were both a lot of fun. I even caught a few steers :-)

Flirt is doing really well, she gets better every day (as she should)! I've almost got her convinced that what we do is fun, but she's still a little unsure when I come out to catch her. Doesn't take her long to give in though. She is a very brave horse, and not much bothers her, so I am confident she's ready to accept a rider. I've done quite a bit of ground work with her over the past several days. Today, I decided, would be the day to get up in the saddle. I take things one step at a time, so I had her used to the saddle on Wednesday. Yesterday I stepped in the stirrup, but didn't swing up. She learned to stand for that, and today I decided to swing up and sit on her. Tomorrow I will probably ask her for movement. Anyway, Kate was out at the barn, so she was kind enough to take some photos of Flirt's first "ride".

Jumping up and down alongside Flirt.

Standing in the stirrup on the left side.

Standing in the stirrup on the right side.

Swung over... "Hey! What are you doing up there??"

Good Girl! Time to unsaddle.


3 comments:

Paint Girl said...

You are doing great with her!! She seems like she is going to be very easy to train!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Now that's the way to start 'em! Nice and easy!! She looks to be a good girl.

jemsfriend said...

Yeah, what a good horse. You look great, by the way.