Friday, July 3, 2009

Team Roping, Team Roping and More Team Roping...

Can anyone guess what I've been up to on my vacation?

Heh, yep, team roping is correct. But, not on any of my horses.

Wednesday night I went over to watch my trainer and a few of his students practice. I worked the chutes and listened in on the advice everyone was getting.

Thursday I went over to my Uncle's place to get his horses ready before he got home from work. He let me ride Brady again, and that was a lot of fun. He knows his job so well. The girl who trained him was there and she gave me some good advice. I told her that my mare just didn't know to stop automatically the way Brady does. She told me that heel horses need to stop when they see the rope fall in front of them, so I should just practice twirling my rope off of Risk, and when I throw it, stop her. It's so simple, I can't believe I didn't think to practice this on my own! She's a smart mare so I know she'll get it pretty quickly. The best part is that I don't even need a steer around to practice this part.

Brady was really good for me and I caught quite a few, but only singles. I always manage to catch the right leg, but not the left.

Today I went over to my trainers place again to watch a reining lesson (because it's free to watch!) and then help out with the chutes again. Before they started roping the live steers they were dragging the dummy around and practicing on that. One of the old cowboys that showed up to rope let me ride his little mare. She was a lot of fun, and very much like riding Riskie. Short strided and quick. I got some good advice from those old cowboys, too.

The farrier came this morning and I had him put front shoes on Risk. She's good to go now, so I am going to start riding her a little more. She is so fat and out of shape!

My vacation will be over before I know it, but I think I spent it well... and I even kept it pretty cheap. I had fun, and I relaxed quite a bit, so I'm happy with that.

I am off to read now! I hope you all have a happy (and safe) 4th!

No comments: