Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A New Halter and Thistles for Dinner

I got my prize from Andrea in the mail today! She held a contest over at her blog, whoever could guess how many porcupine quills she pulled out of her mustang's nose would win a prize. I guessed 21, and the answer was 22. Nobody guessed 22 so I was the closest! I won a hand tied rope halter that Andrea made. I love it! I tried it on Risk right away and it fits great. It's not like the rope halters I'm used to, it is made of thinner rope, but I really like the way it looks. Thanks Andrea! I might have to hold a contest of my own again...



Riskie could be a halter model...

I saddled Risk up tonight and we braved the mosquito swarms together. We worked on picking up the correct lead and stopping when I throw my rope. She's getting it, that's for sure.



Risk in her roping gear


The pasture that I ride in is full of really tall thistles that I have to ride around to avoid. They
are a good way to make sure I've got control of my horse... If the horse doesn't go exactly where
I tell it, chances are we'll end up running into one of these giant weeds.

As I was walking Risk down to the pasture, I stopped to open the gate and saw her very carefully pluck the purple flower off of the thistle! I couldn't believe it! That thing still had thorns on it, too. It was so funny I had to go back and get my camera to get a video of it...



Does this look like something you'd want to eat???





video

6 comments:

aurora said...

Nice Halter, looks like it's custom made just for Riskie!

Silly horses, I can't believe they like eating thistles - ouch! Our's eat them too. One of the lesson horses I rode use to pluck them off and not miss a stride, it's pretty funny.

Andrea said...

I'm so glad the halter worked for you! It looks good on her.

I love watching horses eat thistles. They must taste really good to be worth that much careful work.

Callie said...

OMG! That video is HILARIOUS! Nice halter too congrats!

Paint Girl said...

The new halter looks very nice on Risk! I can't believe she was eating thistle's! That video cracked me up!

Kara said...

My horses love thistle tops too...I think they taste sweet (nectar) and I've heard they are actually high in vitamin C, I think.

Pony Girl said...

The halter reminds me of the Parelli rope halter, it is that thinner style, too. It works really well.
My horse eats the thistle blooms that we have around here. I think they start blooming late July/August and are purple, too.