Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day


Me and Dad on one of my Uncle's rope horses - 1988 or 89??


Me and Dad, High School Graduation 2003

I haven't shared this story with too many people, so I thought today would be a good day to do it.

My dad died in February of 2005. He had Leukemia.


Before he passed away he was determined to buy one of the new 05 Ford Mustangs. He had always liked the Ford Mustang, but he enjoyed the older body styles best, so when the new 05 model came out he had to have one. It was a throwback to the older body styles he grew up with.


I remember him telling me about the test drives and showing me the new catalog. I still have that catalog... He even told me that when he passed away, he'd leave the car to me. I thought that was pretty cool, but I'd rather he not talk like that! He was on his second round of Chemotherapy by then.


Dad never got the chance to buy his car.


It seems that he found a way to keep his promise to me though. You see, Remington is my 05 Mustang, the year is even branded in symbols on his neck. My dad knew that I would much rather have a real Mustang than a car. That is one of the reasons I had to keep my horse, and I knew it was meant to be when Patti let me take him home for free.


So Happy Father's day to all the great dads out there!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessie,
You are so good at making me cry!! I'm sure your Dad is proud of you beyond belief. I agree Remington is way cooler than a car. But just think your Dad may be driving around in one somewhere after all :)
Erin

Pony Girl said...

What a touching tribute, it made me tear up, too! I think it was meant to be, he got his "Mustang" through you! I bet a little bit of his spirit is in Rem....