Monday, June 29, 2009

1st Reining Show - A Lesson In Counting

So, the show went pretty good... or as good as a first show doing something new can go I guess. My biggest goal was to do the pattern while remaining upright... that goes for me and Remington, and we accomplished that. There was no falling over or falling off. My 2nd goal was to do the pattern correctly. I didn't exactly meet this goal, but that just leaves me something to improve upon at the next reining show.


I entered the green rider reining class and that is the last one of the day. So, I had all day to memorize my pattern, and memorize I did! Pattern number 2 was chosen for my class.




The plan was to just go in and complete the pattern. My trainer told me not to worry about doing fast spins or flying changes. Just go in and find out what it's like to ride a reining pattern. So that's what I did. It was a lot of fun too! I was pretty nervous so I know I wasn't concentrating as hard as I should have. Our circles were more like ovals... and after I did my simple change to the left I thought I heard someone in the stands say something about being on the wrong lead so I broke to a trot before I started my large fast circles. Turns out that wasn't needed and I had the correct lead in the first place. It was pretty sloppy, but I know I can improve on that.

It was very windy, so when I was doing the first rundown my hat flew off. Then after the rollback to rundown to the other end of the arena, Rem wasn't sure what my hat was doing sitting on the ground in his path, so instead of running straight we ran diagonally...

Then it was time to spin... thus the counting lesson. I don't even remember counting wrong, but I do remember being unsure... so it's quite possible that I did 5 spins instead of 4. That's where we zeroed out. There are so many things you can get a zero for, and over-spinning is one of them. So, I was glad we got a zero at the end of our pattern... that way I could still see how I scored on the previous maneuvers... which was not good! Ha, but that's okay. Can't expect much when we don't do flying changes. Our stops and rollbacks (which he could have done better) were only -1/2 so I was happy with that. He doesn't have sliding plates on, so he doesn't slide the way most of the other horses did that were there.

I'm not sure when my next show will be, but I know I will be way more confident when we step into that arena.

I don't have any photos of me and Rem, but I've got some good ones of my friends. I still have to get them off my camera though...

I have to go to work tomorrow, but then I've got the rest of the week off! The only bad part about that is I'm broke(reining shows are expensive), so I won't be doing anything that require cash :-P That's okay though, the weather should be nice enough to ride during the day and I've got 2 horses that could use some work, so I'll have a great vacation riding them!

3 comments:

Tracey said...

For me, it's left vs right. I need a bit L and R on my hands before heading in and running circles, lol!

Sounds like if an extra spin was the only issue, you had a great ride. Congrats on staying upright!

Paint Girl said...

I would have been a nervous wreck! I also probably wouldn't have been able to memorize the pattern. Not like I use too when I had a younger mind!
That is cool though, that you went out there and did it. Before you know it, Rem will be blowing everyone away!

Andrea said...

Wow, you two are doing well. I don't think I'll ever be brave enough to try anything quite like that. I can't wait to follow your progress as you keep on with the reining. Way to go, taking a mustang into such a competitive sport!