Sunday, May 24, 2009

Now what??

Selling my Appaloosa sure has got me wondering what I should call the blog now that I'm down to 1 Appaloosa and 1 Mustang... I'll be thinking about that for a while...

Luna is at her new home now. I am glad I was able to drop her off, it gave me a chance to see where she would be living. It's a really nice place, with very large pastures. I think she will like it, though I am sure she will miss her friends. I wonder if I am humanizing her too much... but I really believe that horses make bonds with other horses that can last a lifetime. I also believe that even after years of being apart a horse will recognize a herd mate. What do you think?

Anyway, before I dropped Luna off I went to roping practice again with Risk. I was able to take her on Tuesday night, too. She's not a rope horse yet, she's still learning, and Tuesday she was still afraid to get up behind the steer in the position she needs to be in order for me to throw my rope... so... today I decided to wear spurs. Well, I have worn spurs on her in the past, but apparently I didn't use them the way I did today, because she got to bucking when I asked her to move up behind the steer. I stayed on her longer than I would have stayed on Remington... but she did get me off. So, I tossed my rope aside and hopped back on... she'll learn to deal with these spurs I told myself. So, I asked again the same way for her to move forward and she got to bucking again, but I was able to hang on this time... though it wasn't pretty. We worked things out and in the end she realized that spurs are not a cue to buck... My trainer tells me that if a horse can tolerate a saddle on his back, then he can tolerate a spur to the belly, and I'd have to agree with him. I know many people think spurs are cruel, and I may have thought that once as well, but just like any other training aid we use, in the right hands (or should I say heels?) they are an excellent aid. The last run I took on Risk was perfect, she broke from the box like a bullet and when my header ducked off to the left she fell right in line behind the steer and set me up for a perfect throw, I was able to catch both heels. This time, she knew what I wanted, and I didn't even have to use my spurs.

8 comments:

Kara said...

I agree that horses make bonds that last their lifetimes, and that they remember a horse friend whom they haven't seen in a while...that's not humanizing...animals make bonds too.

I got bucked off when I tried spurs on my sluggish Cody...but then again, that was both of our first time with spurs so that probably was not a good idea. I decided since I don't really know how to use them, I don't need them and she'll learn to go forward more willingly with some other method (I ended up using a crop...it worked and I don't have to even carry one anymore).

Pony Girl said...

I'm sure Luna will miss her herdmates, but also make new friends. I tend to humanize horses, too! :)
Wow, bucked off! Good for you to get back on (glad you were okay!) and show Risk that isn't the signal. My horse is really sensitive to spurs, thought I could use them, but my legs hang right in his belly and he was edgey. No bucking, luckily. I might try them again this spring. Need to get some more momentum out of that horse!

Linda said...

Glad she's happy in her new home. I agree with you that they recognize herd mates many years later--that is my experience over and over again. Horses have a herd intelligence that always amazes me!!

aurora said...

I think some horses are capable of long term bonds.

Glad you got peace of mind when dropping Luna off, makes things easier.

You've got waaay more guts/experience than I do getting bucked off and ending it right!

Mikey said...

Dang, you go girl! I didn't know you were roping! That's very cool. I suck at roping. Wade tells me I have "scared hands" Uh, yeah! I like to keep all my fingers, lol. You are way brave girl, way brave!

Tracey said...

Yes, horses will recognize each other years later. Know that from personal experience. But like kids moving to a new school, they adapt.

Good for you, getting right back up and using those spurs again! That's a hard transition for some horses, while others appear to be just fine with it. Sandy didn't hardly bat an eye. Not sure what Steve Holt! will do, but I know the day will come that I'll be using them just for the sake of him knowing what they're about.

BTW, love the background!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I'm sure you'll miss Luna but she'll make new friends. I do believe that horses develop long term relationships with other horses and people too. You both need to make adjustments and things will turn out okay. It's like sending your kids out into the real world when they grow up and graduate.

It's good that you were able to get back on and end the lesson on a good note.

Callie said...

Sounds like a fun roping time! Oh to be young again & just hop back on! I'm sure Luna will be happy in her new home, I always wonder if they miss their herdmates too. I'm sure they do!