Sunday, May 3, 2009

Lazy Sunday

Yesterday was fun, although not everything went as planned. I got the truck and trailer hooked up and was ready to go when I realized the truck tire has a slow leak again, and apparently I'm no good with a tire gauge. I thought it was leaking faster than it really was, so I called my uncle and he offered to change the tire for me, so I headed out that way only to find that the truck doesn't even have a spare tire! He told me that the leak wasn't too bad and then he let me borrow his air tank so I could fill it up if it got too low. So, about 2 hours after I said I'd meet Jess, I made it to the trail head! She didn't mind at all, as she had a few errands to run before hand anyway.

It was close to dinner time so we decided to take the trail into a town called Eagle and eat at a bar. The bar has a really nice little enclosed corral set up for horses with individual tie stalls. It's really nice to be able to tie your horse and not worry about them getting loose while you eat!

Just as we were tying the horses up we heard loud cheering from inside the bar... we had just missed the running of the Derby! As we came in we saw Mine That Bird being pulled up on the television. Lots of people were wearing fancy hats at the bar, and one guy was dressed up as Seabiscuit's jockey. That made me laugh. The food was good, but our waitress was new and seemed to be the only one there, so I can't say the service was too good... That's alright though, we still had fun.

The trail that goes into Eagle is really hilly and rocky, so Jess and I didn't really get the ride in that we had hoped. We decided to keep riding past the parking lot in the other direction. Those trails were wide and flat so we let the ponies stretch their legs. Riskie loves to run, and every time Jess and Nash would draw even with us, Riskie would flatten her ears and run faster. Perhaps she was running her own Kentucky Derby :-)

We saw a few whitetail deer on the trail, and Jess and I found it odd that they really weren't afraid of us. We were probably less than 20 feet away and talking loudly and they just stood there staring at us. Riskie spotted them first, I wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't stopped dead in her tracks and raised her head up to stare back at them.

It was a really good ride on a really nice day! I am looking forward to many more this summer.

Luna's face is looking better and better each day. I finally got a picture of it, but it sure doesn't look the way it did on Monday morning. It's gotten considerably smaller, so that's good. I guess I forget how fast horses heal.



I don't have a whole lot planned for today. Probably a nap, and then I might take Rem out for a ride, and finally I've got to pick up more hay tonight. I think weekends need to be 3 days instead of 2...

4 comments:

Paint Girl said...

Love the new look!
That place that you ate at with the tie stalls sounds so cool! I wish we had something like that here!

Pony Girl said...

Yes, I wish every weekend was a 3-day one, too! ;) Sounds like a really fun ride...I would LOVE to do something like that! Glad Luna's face is looking better. I had fun watching the derby and the underdog again. What a great story!

Callie said...

Sounds like fun! I must have missed it, but what happened to Luna?

Linda said...

I missed the Derby--so thanks for the update. Weekends always go too fast!