Sunday, May 31, 2009

June already?

Seems like May flew by... where did it go? I have been struggling with a decision, though I think I know the answer. The deadline for application for the Eastern States Mustang Makeover is tomorrow. I have been going back and forth on whether or not I should apply again. I really don't think I'll have the money, especially if gas prices keep going up like they say they will. I also don't know that I could let another mustang go... and I know I'd have to. It was easier than I thought to let Luna go to a new home... but I pretty much had an entire year to prepare myself to let her go. I also didn't have near the amount of work in her that I would put into another mustang...


I got an email from her new owner today. She and Luna are working with the barn owner/trainer. She said that the trainer is very impressed with Luna, so that made me feel really good.


Anyway... I could still fax in my application tomorrow... but I haven't asked Aubrey's dad if it would be okay to take on another mustang... it's their facility after all. *sigh* I guess I will sleep on it and see what happens when I wake up...

The weekend was good. Saturday I went to a lesson and we worked on collection for the most part. It was enlightening to say the least :-) I wasn't going to go because I am trying to save money, but I have a hard time passing up a chance to learn more while actually riding my horse.

Later, my mom wanted to go for a ride, so I saddled up Risk for her and I took Remington. We just rode around the property, but it was fun. My mom is so good at stating the obvious when we're around horses... It's not exactly funny at the time but looking back it makes me laugh. Like when Remington lifted his tail to poop... she lets out this huge gasp like she's completely appalled... Really, mom??? You've never seen a horse poop before?? I don't always have the patience I need to explain horseback riding to my mother, so sometimes I get a little short, I hope she doesn't mind. Riskie puts up with her antics well enough, though. After my mom figured out that the reason Risk kept trotting off, was because she was leaning forward, they got along much better. Risk sometimes takes advantage of my mom's inexperience, but I know she wouldn't do anything crazy (it's not like I give my mom spurs to wear!).

I didn't do any riding today, just let the horses out to pasture. The air show was going on this weekend, and Aubrey's place is close to the airport. The horses had the Blue Angels flying over their pasture all weekend. That's quite the desensitizing experience. I don't think they mind as long as there's grass in front of their faces!

Here is Remington wondering why the heck I'm snapping photos instead of unsaddling him and letting him out to eat grass... All the horses are so shiny now, I sure don't miss those shaggy winter coats...

7 comments:

Paint Girl said...

That would be so cool if you took on another Mustang, but I understand the money thing.
Rem looks so good, I also am loving the sleek fur right about now!

Kara said...

WOW! That is a VERY shiny horse! Do you put anything on him to bring out the shine?

Andrea said...

He looks good! I love the sleek summer look too. And it's so easy to get them ready to ride, compared to when they're covered in shaggy mud.

Jessie said...

Thanks everyone!

Kara, the only thing I use on my horses is elbow grease and fly spray, but I want to say there is some coat conditioner in the fly spray we use.

Tracey said...

Aren't summer coats wonderful? My boys look fantastic right now as well.

So...what did you decide on the makeover?

JAN'S PLACE said...

Wow.. the Blue Angels flew over my daughters wedding.. that was kinda cool!

I see you have a horse named Risk..my best horse in the whole world.. or close to it was a wonderful QH gelding named Risk Bar, I even did a post about him...sigh.. great horse.

Let us know what you do with the Mustang Challenge...

badges blues N jazz said...

just found your blog. I totally agree with you on the nice summer coats.. its nice to be rid of those shaggy beasts!