Monday, April 13, 2009

Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Weekend

I had just about the worst weekend you can have. I don't see this week making things much better either. It started out well enough, I had Friday off so after the farrier came out I headed to my trainer's place for a lesson. It was really good and he told me it was time Remington learned to go in a shank bit, so we tried one out. Rem did really good in it, so one of the things I'd like to keep an eye out for at Midwest is a nice short-shanked, broken mouth piece bit.

Things went down hill from there... Friday night I found out that my boyfriend of almost 4 years has decided he is not happy here in Wisconsin, and he wants to move back to Texas where he is from. He knows I'm not willing to relocate. He isn't sure yet if he wants to go or not, but I have a bad feeling about this. I think he's a bit young for a mid-life crisis, but what do I know...

Saturday started off with a group lesson which went terribly. We rode outside in the big reining arena. Everyone was loping circles and I was so happy that Rem was staying on the path I set him on. I had him on a loose rein when he tripped and we both went down. My trainer went on to tell me repeatedly why it was my fault he went down because I didn't have him collected and in the bridle. I guess I know better now... The lesson didn't get much better after that. Everyone else in the group was preparing for an upcoming show. Rem isn't ready to show, so we were kind of just there, which bummed me out because I want to show him, but like I said, he isn't ready. It's hard when everyone you ride with has a trained reiner and here I am on my uncoordinated mustang. I'm starting to feel like we don't belong.

Then, it was on to practice for our Demo at Midwest Horse Fair. This was our final practice so we could run through it with music and get the timing down because we only have 1o minutes in the coliseum. Unfortunately not everyone showed up to practice. I guess I just shouldn't worry about it, but we haven't really run through it from start to finish once. I don't even know what's happening for the last 5 minutes. So... if you see our demo and it looks like we have no idea what's going on... it's because we don't.

Can you tell I'm cranky? It's 3:30 in the morning and I just can't sleep. I have so much to do before Thursday and I can't even think straight. I'm pretty stoked that my boyfriend decided to drop that bomb on me just before Horse Fair... I haven't been this upset since my dad died back in 2005. So, if you see me at Horse Fair and I'm crying... don't mind me, I'll be fine :-)

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Boys stink, sweetie.

All you can do is give it your best, and let everyone else figure it out for themselves..

I know, I know.... I don't know how much it hurts... Really, I do...

Hoping your week gets better than your weekend. You'll be in my prayers that it'll keep getting better.

Tracey said...

First and foremost, find a new trainer. Seriously...I mean it.

Second...if the boy leaves, then he's not the one. You'll hurt, there's no way around that, but you've got to trust there's someone out there and he's just been occupying your time until Prince Charming comes along.

Hugs and prayers, my friend! You're just under a momentary storm cloud; life will get better, I promise!

Jessie said...

Jennifer and Tracey,

Thank you both so much for the kind words and prayers.

Tracey, I feel like I may have made my trainer sound worse than he is in my explanation of what happened. He really wasn't mean about it, but concerned for my safety which is why he repeated it to me. I understand Rem was strung out when it happened so he couldn't recover when he tripped. It did not make me feel good to hear it over and over though.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm sorry. When it rains, it always has to pour on us, doesn't it? That loose rein incident was just a fluke. I'm glad both of you were unhurt after the fall. Things will get better for you soon. Something really, really, really good always has to happen after sometheing bad.

Linda said...

I've had those kinds of weekends! The first bout of bad news may have contributed to the rest of your bad weekend though--basically, the boyfriend thing may have tainted the rest.

I had a boyfriend move away once--he got homesick. We broke up, and I eventually got over it--and then he wanted to move back and get back together. But by that time it was too late--I had no feelings for him.

I've also been divorced--after thirteen years of marriage and three wonderful children--so the pain of breaking up with a loved one is very real to me. All I can say is, you do get over it. And for me, it paved the way for me to meet my soul mate.

I'm sorry you're having to go through it--because it hurts--but I hope you get to the other side quickly! You'll be in my thoughts...

Kara said...

Hi Jessie, I'm sorry to hear what you are going through, but I do understand too. Not everyone is against you though! We are all here! And I do hope I run into you this weekend. I have tickets for the EMM finals on Saturday night and I think I'll be arriving in Madison around noon and wandering around until then. I might be alone, but I might also bring my dad, but he's having shoulder surgery tomorrow so I think he might not be up to accompanying me. Where can I find the mustang people on Saturday? I wish I could bring Chico down and play around with you all...maybe this summer we can go for a ride?

Katee said...

I'll be at the Horse Fair this weekend, Jessie. When is this 10 minute ride happening??

Jessie said...

Thanks Nuzzling Muzzles and Linda, for sharing your experiences. It helps to hear things will get better...

Kara, you will be able to find me in barn 9. That is where Rem and the other Mustang Pride horses will be stabled. I'm not sure where this year's makeover horses will be... Most likely right up front in barn 1.

Katee, our demo times are Friday in the Coliseum at 10:40 (This overlaps with the in hand competition going on in the Nutrena arena) and then again on Sunday at 9:40, in the Coliseum.

There will be 6 mustangs from last years Mustang makeover and 6 mustangs adopted through regular blm adoptions.

Callie said...

Oh, Hang in there, kiddo,the cosmos is very uneasy right at the moment and there seems to be a lot of crap going it on with everyone, I only hope that it all settles down soon!