Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Spins

Last weekend was pretty lousy. It snowed on Saturday into Sunday morning, so practice for our Mustang demo was canceled. I didn't want to haul anywhere, but we had a lesson scheduled, so I rode my trainer's horse, Melvin. We did a refresher on rollbacks and then did some exercises to improve our spin. We did lots of sidepassing.

It was really fun to spin Melvin. He is very correct in his spin. Remington could learn a lot from him... But, that's the point I suppose, I learn what it feels like to ride a correct spin and then I can correct Rem and help him out more.

After the lesson I went out to the barn and rode Rem in the small arena. I thought he did really well. I rode him Monday and Tuesday as well. Today I decided to bring the camera out because even though I think he feels okay, I am still not 100% sure where his feet are at all times. I need to get better at knowing that. After reviewing the video, I realized he is moving his butt just as much as he is moving his front end when we spin to the right. He also hasn't got the cross over down yet.

To the left he is much better, but things still aren't as smooth as they could be. I am okay with where we are to the left though. I took a break from working on the spin in December and am just now coming back to it. You can see in the video he is still moving too much, as we start in one place and end up in another. You can also see him really trying to get the correct foot fall, but it's not quite fluid enough yet. He looks a little dizzy at the end... That was our good way, I'm not even going to show what we look like to the right!!

Anyway, plenty of room for improvement. I'm trying not to get frustrated because this is a time consuming process, especially for a horse who wasn't bred to do this sort of thing, and a girl who doesn't know exactly what she's doing...


2 comments:

Nancy said...

He looks good! Once you are able to get out side he will get better.

Rising Rainbow said...

Wow! I think he looks good for a baby horse just learning. I've seen a number of "starter" reiners from big name trainers and there's start off like that. Give yourself and him a break, you're on the right track. You go, Girl!!!