Sunday, April 19, 2009

The End of Another Horse Fair

I am pretty tired, so just a quick update to let you know how things went.

TJ ended up tied for 5th place, and he took Choke HOME! The adopter he had lined up decided she wasn't ready for a young horse, and it worked out well because TJ realized he was in love with his mustang! Such a happy ending :-)

Chase Dodd won the competition with his horse, Pat Summit. She is a beautiful black mare. He was also able to take her home. They had a great finals performance, and I agreed with Ken McNabb, who said Chase showed what his horse could do well and didn't need anything fancy to prove she was a nice horse. Since her flying changes weren't solid, Chase just asked for simple changes and they were beautiful. She stayed calm and collected the whole time, Chase did a great job and he definitely deserved the win.

The majority of the trainers took their horses home. I want to say that out of the 30 horses there, at least 20 went home with their trainers. The adoption prices were lower than last year, but all the horses were adopted.

After being a spectator, I've got the itch to train another one, we'll see what happens though...
I would need to find an adopter for sure if I were to do it again.

Our breed demo went well again today. We did some improvising at the end and we got to race around the arena. Rem had fun with that. He had a lot of pent up energy from being in a stall all weekend, so I'm sure it felt good to tear around in the coliseum. He handled the cheering and clapping really well. I was nervous coming into it, but now I know he can handle it without a fuss. He's such a good horse.

Well, this was supposed to be a short post because I'm beat, so I'll end it here! I've got some video and photos to get up, so stay tuned, I'll get to it as soon as I can.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks for keeping us posted. Sounds like it all went well and everyone was happy. Nice picture of all the Mustangs together. :)

Charlie said...

Thanks for all the updates and videos of TJ. What an amazing trainer!

Kara said...

Hi Jessie,

Do you remember how much Chase Dodd adopted his horse back for? My dad and I were interested in the bidding amounts.

Kara

Jessie said...

Kara,

Chase only wanted to spend 2,000 on his mare so that's where he started the bidding. It kept getting higher and then Ken McNabb and Tommy Garland said they'd split the cost of the amount that Chase couldn't pay. Then, the Mustang Heritage Foundation offered to pay the half that Chase couldn't pay. It ended at 4,200 I believe. Chase paid 2,000 and the Mustang Heritage Foundation paid the remaining amount.

Katee said...

Jessie,

Do you know where I could find a list of what prices all of the horses went for?

I got to meet Chase on Saturday and I'm super excited that he got to take his mare home.

Jessie said...

Katee,

I'm not sure where to find a list. I didn't write anything down and I should have.

I would say the average price was around 800. The lowest I think was around 300 and the highest was 4200. Choke went to TJ for 1500. Many of the trainers had received grants to buy back their mustangs and they were able to get them back for what their grant was.