Saturday, March 21, 2009

What a Great Day!


Happy Aussies!


Sweaty Rem after a good ride.


This morning Joe and I went out for breakfast at Cracker Barrel. The french toast there is the best! It was a little chilly in the morning, but it really warmed up after 11. Joe went up to Madison, so I was on my own for the afternoon and decided to head out to the barn of course. The dogs were happy to come along too. They will sleep good tonight.

First, I decided to ride Remington. Gone was the lazy mustang I've come to know so well. Remington was full of it. He must be feeling good now that the weather is nice! I wanted to work on his turn around but I wasn't getting very far so I decided to work on his circles. That was interesting. He was very strong, never out of control, but there were times I had to check my brakes. He just wanted to tear around, and I guess I can't blame him. So after several circles at the hand gallop he finally relaxed and did a few nice circles at a slower canter. I was happy with that. I went back to working on his turn around and it went okay to the left, but he still has all kinds of trouble to the right. He just needs to learn how to cross over in front consistently and I think he'll have it.


He was soaked by the time we were done so I walked him until he quit breathing hard and then took him to the barn to unsaddle. After that I gave him a good grooming and clipped his feet for Midwest. I am sick of those silly feathers... He's a Mustang, not a draft horse!!


I had thought about riding Luna, but after seeing Rem turn into a fire breathing dragon on such a nice day, I decided to just take a relaxing ride on Risk. I gave her a good brushing, cinched up the bareback pad, and we were off. The dogs got to tag along too. It was a really good ride, one that makes you think how lucky you are to have a horse of your own!


Here are a few photos I took of Choke and TJ last week. You can see all the things they've been up to!







5 comments:

Kara said...

Remington looks really nice! He's in good shape!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That saddle looks really comfy. My husband used to eat at a tiny restaurant called the Cracker Barrel. It's gone now. I wonder if there is a chain, or if there were just two restaurants with the same name.

Pony Girl said...

The Aussies are so cute! Sounds like a good ride on Rem. By the way, was he wearing a pink halter in that picture? ;)

Jessie said...

Kara, thanks!

NuzzMuzz, I love my saddle! It's my Uncle's old roping saddle and it is very comfortable. The Cracker Barrel we have is part of a chain, I went to the website and was surprised to see there aren't any in Nevada!!

Pony Girl, he is wearing a pink halter! :-) I bought it a few years ago for my mare, thinking she'd grow into it but she didn't. Rem has the biggest head of all my horses and I didn't want it to go to waste, so he gets to wear it. haha, I am so mean to him.

Linda said...

Both the Mustangs, Rem and Choke, look great.

Is that the barn you board at? Is that a plexi-glass window? What a pretty setting. My barn is down-right ugly compared to that one.

Sounds like the perfect day--I think all the horses are full of it!