Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Ranch Horse Clinic this weekend

I signed up to attend a Ranch horse clinic this weekend, put on by the Wisconsin Ranch Horse Association. I am pretty excited about this, I'm going to bring Remington and hopefully we'll both learn something.

I will be sure to update after the clinic, but I can't promise any photos. My goal for this winter is to get Rem spinning really good. I am taking lessons and I recently bought a video on spins and rollbacks by Larry Trocha. I watched it once and I'm working on watching it a second time. I haven't had a chance to try any of the exercises out yet, but he does a good job of giving you different methods to try. Most of them I have heard of, but wasn't sure how to do them exactly, so it helps to actually see him doing them. He rides horses that he says are still learning the spin, but they sure move a lot quicker than Remington ever has... then again they are probably bred for that sort of work...

The Midwest Horse Fair is only a few months away, yet again! I wish that I could participate in the Mustang Challenge, but I simply don't have the money (and we all know what happened last year...) I understand that there is not as much interest in being one of the trainers this year. The Mustang Heritage Foundation has extended the deadline (was the 1st now the 10th) I wonder why there isn't more interest, but I have a feeling it has something to do with the economy. There's just not a lot of extra money, and it takes money to participate. At least gas prices are down... last year I think I spent $150 alone on the trip down to Illinois and back to pick up the mustangs (and that was only half the money spent on gas, Jess paid the other half)! I do hope that they have enough interest to still do the competition. I would really like to be a spectator this year... much more relaxing.

Here's a photo from Thanksgiving of Aubrey and I on our mustangs. I'm not sure what the expression on my face is about, but I was supposed to be smiling, like Aubrey.

4 comments:

Tracey said...

I'm jealous! I'd love if there were ranch horse clinics close to home for Sandy and I.

Only $150 to go pick up Rem last year? Jealous again.

The Gatorland challenge is having a hard time, too. The Oregon BLM really pushed hard to get trainers to sign up for the Northwest makeover. I didn't want to do it, but how could I say no to them? We really wanted a challenge up here and moving the Oregon horses was important. The weather this time of year, though, is just not conducive to horse training for those of us without arenas :)

jesterjigger said...

Oh, that sounds like so much fun! If I didn't do dressage I would so do reining. Make sure to get pics!

Jessie said...

Tracey, there's got to be something somewhere? Maybe you should put one together and get your friend Curt to be the clinician!

Jesterjigger, I didn't bring my camera, sorry to disappoint! Maybe someone from the WRHA got some photos and they will post them on the website, I'll be sure to post them if they did...

Rising Rainbow said...

If it turns out you think those videos are anything special...once you try to put the stuff to work, let me know. I'd like to find something good along that line and I haven't a clue where to start.