Monday, November 17, 2008

Catching up...

First off, I was book tagged by Deanna, who now has a new website!

Here's the rules:

1. Grab the nearest HORSE book.
2. Open the book to page 56.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next two to five sentences.
5. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the cool book or the intellectual one. Pick the Closest.
6. Tag five people to do the same.

The book I always have laying around is "The Body Language of Horses" by Tom Ainslie and Bonnie Ledbetter.

Willie was an aging gelding of mixed ancestry and cumbersome physique who had become the official babysitter at the Loudon place. He spent his afternoons in the yearling pasture, fussing over the youngsters and devising games which amused him and, accidentally or not, helped to prepare the yearlings for later life. Each day at almost exactly 3:50 p.m., when the yearlings had been napping and would soon awaken for play, Willie would lurch among them, pause and lightly nip one on the rump. Its slumber rudely disturbed, the baby would leap squealing to its feet, rousting the others, while Willie trotted around in high amusement. The game toughened the spirits of the yearlings, as each proved by reacting less vociferously when nipped awake a third or fourth time. More important, it taught the growing youngsters the potential dangers of being caught napping in daylight.

Okay, so I did 6 sentences, but that last one was important!!

Now onto the tagging... I think I'll choose my mustang buddies, sorry if you've already been tagged!

and

In other news, Remington and Luna are now in with Chocolate and Riskie for the winter. All four horses together. I was curious to see if Luna would stay buddies with Rem or leave him for the girls. She stayed with Rem for about half an hour before deciding she belonged with Risk and Chocolate. Poor Rem is back to being a loner... The girls sure do treat him like dirt. They don't let him in the barn, so I have to bring his hay down to his "house" every morning. I've been riding him in the evening so he's been getting stalled through the night.

I told Aubrey I'd take some video for her when I let all four horses in together, so here it is... (better late than never!)



Last weekend I had another lesson with Remington. We worked mostly on getting him to move his feet. He is a lazy booger. I also wanted to work on getting him to follow his nose, as lately he'll follow my rein with his nose, but not his body. My instructor explained to me that if I can get that hind end kicked around with my inside leg then he'll have no choice but to follow his nose. I had been trying to use my outside leg to guide his shoulder over, without much success. My instructors advice worked really well but he warned me that some horses have a hard time with it at first and will trip... which is exactly what Rem then did... He went down to his knees, and being the lazy bum that he is decided he was already half way down, may as well go all the way down *plop*. So... that made 2 for 2 rides that I wound up on the ground while riding Rem. We were both fine though, just a little dusty. At least this time Rem went down with me... and no, I did not hang onto the reins, that is one situation when you should let go of everything all together and get out of the way!! And we were in an arena, so I had no fear of having to walk home ;-)

So the funny part about this is when I tell Joe about it...

Jess: So, Remington fell over in my lesson today...

Joe: Is that why you want to go on a diet?

Jess: *&$%?!

Good times... Well, I believe this post is about long enough... Aubrey will be home for Thanksgiving, and we are going to take a reining lesson together, which should be fun. Maybe I'll even get some pictures, since I haven't had any in quite a while. I can't believe Thanksgiving is next week already... Not a good time to start a diet. Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

Deanna said...

They are so mean to him! Maybe he was being lazy because they are running his butt around so much lol.