Wednesday, June 11, 2008

If it isn't snow, it's rain...

That's what keeps me from riding...


The arena was dried up today after a weekend full of rain. Remington hasn't been ridden since...well, since I don't know when! Some time last week. So, I was glad to saddle him up and take him for a spin. I am trying to build up his endurance so I can work him for longer periods of time, but it's difficult when I only get to ride once a week because it rains for days on end!!


He was pretty lazy today and after about 10 minutes of trotting he wanted to call it quits. So when I asked for the lope he obliged for about 10 strides and then pooped out on me... I think I know how Kent Desormeaux felt when he kept asking Big Brown for more speed and instead all he got was deceleration!! Okay... maybe that's not exactly what it felt like.


I had to give Remington a big whomp with both legs and that got his attention... so much that he took off bucking! Just what I wanted, he is easy enough to control when he has those fits though, so I just disengaged his hindquarters and asked for the lope again. He decided he'd better get to work and was at least easier to keep going. When I would start to feel him quit I would threaten him with another whomp, but I thought twice about it, and he got the picture, so no more bucking ensued. I wonder if I need to bring those spurs out again...


Anyway, Aubrey was out taking photos for me. After the bucking fit I asked if she got any shots of it and she said she was too busy watching to take pictures.... Sheesh... I am always sure to get good shots of Aubrey when her horses misbehave, why can't she get some of mine being naughty??

















And after seeing these photos I've come to the conclusion that I need to go on a diet!!!

2 comments:

Callie said...

I hear ya on the rain..... totally. I won't get any riding in this week partially because of it. Except for the bucking, sounds like a productive day. And don't be silly about the diet, You look good! Come look at the pictures of me riding and you'll feel much better about yourself....LOL

Pony Girl said...

Jessie, it was fun to see some pictures of you on Rem. You guys look so great together!
All that rain has made everything look very green in that pasture, lol! ;)