Sunday, June 15, 2008

Another weekend gone

Weekends are never long enough... I am looking forward to the 4th of July, that's a Friday and it will be a 3 day weekend!

I got to ride Remington tonight. He was very well behaved and after working hard to keep him loping to the left he actually caught on and started to go without much help from me when we went to the right. I was happy with that and didn't ask for much more because it was pretty hot out.





On Thursday I was sad to learn of the passing of one of the Midwest Mustang Challenge horses. Cheveyo, trained by Mike Cross was euthanized after finding tumors in his stomach during colic surgery. It's hard to believe that things like this can happen to young, seemingly healthy horses. Just one more reason to hug your horse and not take for granted the time we have with them.

8 comments:

Christy said...

Oh gosh, I'm crying so hard. I can't imagine what I would do with out my horse......

I am glad that they made the right decision, and I hope he rests in peace.

Pony Girl said...

Looks like you and Rem had a lovely weekend ride. That second photo of you loping was really great, those clouds in the back- wow! What kind of camera was used?
That is sad to hear about Cheveyo. Amazing that he thrived as well as he did, he must have been in a lot of pain. I agree, you never know what can happen with horses, I give My Boy an extra hug and pat every time I leave him. Just in case.

Callie said...

Sounds like a good ride! So sorry to hear about Cheveyo......That is so sad.

otterkat said...

You & the boy look like you're having so much fun - I still can't get over the amazing luck that you have him! He's such a nice looking guy & I LOVE that loose rein in the lope - so relaxed yet together.

How'd the painting end up? Latest pics? Have you decided what to do with it - give to Pattie / auction off?

Will give my fave school pony a big hug tomorrow morning [I always do though, he gets so much lovin']

- Jules from Oz

Tracey said...

That's so sad about Cheveyo, Jessie.

How's that painting of your's coming along?

annmarie cross said...

Jesse,
thank you so much for sharing Cheveyo's story with others. I hope others acn learn about the dangers of strangles and if Cheveyo's passing saves one other horse's life, it will make losing him less painful to us.

We so miss the darling boy. I am anxiously awaiting delivery of our Wisconsin videos from MHF so we can watch his classes and rides (we didnt video since they did).

Rising Rainbow said...

Sounds like you had a good ride.

Sad to hear about the loss of such a young horse. You just never know what life holds for any of us.

Jessie said...

Thanks for all the comments! Sorry I'm a bit late getting to them, I suppose I have no excuse other than being lazy!

Pony girl, I tweaked the photo in photoshop in order to bring the contrast in the clouds out, but the camera I use is a Canon Power Shot S5.

Jules and Tracey, thanks for asking about the painting. I haven't done much with it, but plan on getting my butt in gear soon... I am just being too lazy - hot summer days don't help this fact!