Thursday, May 1, 2008

What I've been up to...

Mostly relaxing... it's pretty nice to take a break from training for a little while. Rem has had some time off, and aside from our slight set back the other day (which I'd rather not discuss at the moment) he is settling in to domestic life just fine. He has learned that the white tape surrounding his paddock bites back when bitten and steers clear of the nasty stuff now.

Right now I am working on a painting that I'd like to do for Patti at the Mustang Heritage Foundation. I figure I owe her considering she bought my horse :-) My plan is to send it down to her and tell her she can keep it or put it up for auction at the Fort Worth Mustang Makeover and donate whatever it goes for to the MHF.

I figured I'd take pictures along the way so you can all follow along in the progress... kind of like Remington's training. I am not even 1/4 of the way finished so bear with me, it starts out looking rough, but the end product will be great.


30 by 40 canvas - Charcoal drawing


Layer 1 - laying down colors


Layer 2 (face only)


Layer 3 - another layer on the face and neck


Layer 3 - detail


My camera wasn't cooperating tonight, so these photos of the 3rd layer aren't the best. The paint was still a little wet so I tried to take them at an angle so as not to catch a glare, but it didn't really work on the detail photo. I've still got several layers to go so I'll keep taking photos for you!



14 comments:

Tracey said...

Smashing!!! It's absolutely beautiful, Jessie. You've got quite a talent there and I'm sure Patti will love it.

Nancy said...

Great job! you are talented. WE were missing you and Rem. Glad you are back.

Beth said...

HOLY COW! Are you ever talented!!! I was in Janesville on Tuesday. I had to pick up a dog at rock county humane and go to look at horses at Skelly quarter horses.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Looks like after the horse training, I've found something else to hire you for!! You are amazing.
Erin

Kathy M said...

WOW!!!! It looks nice already!

Maybe you should make 2, one for Patti and one for me :D

Callie said...

Wow! Nice Job!

Jessica Schmitt said...

Hey Jess it looks great but......I thought that Nash was supposed to be in it too aww poor Nash!!!!!lol

I'm Mikey said...

You are so talented! Wow! I am totally impressed!
Hey girl, we just got the news, Wade's brother made it into the Extreme Mustang Makeover!!!!
So I'll be blogging about it, you betcha :) I'll set up a blog pretty soon, they pick up on June 12th in Nevada.
Can't wait. Writing the press release tonight. I'm way pumped!
YOU inspired me to get him entered, so we'll blame it all on you, ok?

Jessie said...

Thank you all for the comments! Wow, so nice to see I still have readers even after the competition :-)

Beth, next time you are in town you should let me know, you can stop by and meet the animals!

Mikey, that is very exciting news! I am looking forward to the blog, let me know when it's up so I can add the link!

nativetxan said...

Hey Jess! Good to hear from you. I love your painting of Remy. Very good. Are you using oils? Acrylic? You going to be coming to Ft Worth? Guess I need to drop you an email. Have a great weekend!
Jamie

Strawberry Lane said...

Fantastic! You are an amazing artist! And the purpose of your masterpiece makes it even more wonderful.

jules said...

That's looking fabulous, Jess - I love how you put down all the layers of base colour & go from there ... Horses are the most difficult thing to draw / paint & that's beautiful! It's not just "a horse" it's definitely a mustang, & def Rem; you've got his personality in there which is astounding! How did you get to be so good?!?! Is it oil on canvas or acrylics? I always liked working with acrylics, myself ... trashy I know but I loved the effects.

Maybe if Patti auctions it off you could do one for her anyway eg a band of mustangs.

SO GLAD you're still blogging - I'm still overjoyed about you & Rem! What's next in your adventure?

Anonymous said...

Jessie,It looks just beautiful!!! How much to you charge? And keep us posted on how Rem is doing!!!

Anne said...

Really gorgeous and fascinating. I'm so glad you showed how it's done. Looks like voodoo and magic to me.

She'll be delighted to get it. I know I would!

What talent you have!