Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Teeth

Last Thursday the vet came out to remove Remington's wolf teeth. I had a vet check them in February before I ever put a bit in his mouth, and he had told me that unless they cause a problem, they don't need to be removed. Rem never did seem to settle with the bit, so I decided it was time to get them removed just in case that's why he chews and tosses his head. I am giving his mouth a week to heal, so Thursday I will try him out with the bit again.

I wish I had brought my camera. Remington is pretty goofy looking while sedated. I couldn't stop laughing at him. I wish they could sedate me when I go to the dentist... It would make things much more pleasant.

Before he removed the wolf teeth, he took off some points and removed a cap. I asked him if Rem really was a three year old, as the BLM just takes a good guess when they're captured because you can't really look a wild horse in the mouth, and indeed, it appears he is a true three year old. I sure hope he doesn't grow too much taller... I'll need a ladder to get up on him! I prefer horses that are barely horses. Meaning one inch above pony height... 14.3 hands! I think Remington is about 15 now, so that is acceptable, but he should just stop right there...

The horse I learned to ride on was 15.3 though, so I suppose I could get used to a bigger horse again.

I haven't found much time to paint this week so it's going slow. I've only worked on the background.

Here are some photos of the painting and Rem's teeth. There is still some blood and tissue on the teeth, so if that grosses you out, don't scroll down! :-)











4 comments:

Callie said...

Aaaww, poor Rem, gettin' his teeth pulled. Hopefully that will make the difference. The paointing is looking great!

Pony Girl said...

Jessie, I wish I could be sedated for the dentist, too!! ;) I am only 5'3" and I like short, stocky horses. Before I got My Boy, I wanted a 14.2-14.3 hand horse. And I ended up with him, a 15.2 hh! The painting is looking great!!
Let us know how Rem does with the bit now that he's missing the wolves!

Rising Rainbow said...

I wish I could be sedated for the dentist as well. I'm a big chicken about getting my teeth worked on. I'd rather work with a rank stallion that visit the dentist. Can't be much worse than that.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Ewwwww! I scrolled down! The painting looks great, though.