Friday, May 30, 2008

It's been a while...

I haven't blogged for 10 days! That seems like a long time. My blogs aren't any fun without photos though, and since Aubrey has been away for the past week, I've had no photographer! At least not for riding photos. Good news is, she is back, so new photos will be on their way soon.

Next weekend I am going to introduce Rem to CATTLE!! My uncle is going to be steer-sitting for a week, so I'm going to bring Rem over and introduce him to the horned beasts. I will be sure to get photos and video.

I have only ridden Remington once since he had his teeth fixed, and I feel like there was some improvement! He did still mouth the bit, but no head tossing. I think his mouthing may just be habit now, and should get better with time, now that there are no teeth to bother him. I also got Aubrey to ride him so I could sit back and watch. It's always nice to see your horse go under someone else. Gives you a chance to see what needs work, and what's good! Rem needs to be more consistent in his gaits, one minute he is doing a working trot and the next he's just jogging around like a peanut roller, I am probably no help there though. Aubrey was watching and telling me when I started to lean forward and as soon as I would lean back Rem would relax down into a nice jog.

I would like to get his gaits consistent for the open 4-H show that I attend every year. It would be fun to take him in a few classes. I have until June 28th to prepare. I really didn't bother much with a lot of rail work when I was training Rem. It was mostly desensitizing, obstacles, and patterns. Looking back, he would have benefited from more rail work, but I really didn't have much of an arena to work with. Now that I can work outside though, it's time to put Rem to work again.

A few of you have asked about my filly, and she is for sale to the right home. For those interested, she is a 2 year old Appaloosa. She is a few spot leopard, mostly white with black points. I think right now she stands about 14.2 but her butt is considerably taller. I haven't started her under saddle because I don't like to start 2 year olds, and she is still pretty small. She has all the ground work done though. She is a very calm little filly, which is why I can stand to part with her, I know whoever buys her will love her. But, if the right person doesn't come along, I will just continue affording 3 horses (because I'm CRAZY!) and going without a few things that I probably don't need anyway :-)


Up For Intrigue "Luna"

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Luna is super cute, Jessie! You shouldn't have trouble finding her a good home, I wouldn't think.

I've been dying to get Sandy out on cattle, but looks like it isn't to be. Perhaps this summer I can get Jet on them, eh? Have fun with Rem; I'll bet he'll enjoy moving cattle!

Pony Girl said...

Can't wait to see how Rem does with cattle! He is going to be such a versatile boy!
You little Luna is just a doll. I love those Appy's!! I like that you waited to start her, but that she has all the groundwork done. She'll be easy to start, I'm sure.