Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Happy Trails

Sorry it's taken so long for an update! I am still waiting on pictures from Jessi from our trail ride on Saturday! Yep, we took the wild mustangs out for their first trail ride to the state park in Palmyra. Both of the guys did great! They really wanted to walk out (or trot out!) at the beginning of our ride, but by the end they were pooped!! Palmyra has tons of hills, so they really had their work cut out for them and they didn't even know it! On the way back Remington would need to stop in the middle of a hill for a breather.

We were out for a good 2 hour ride, and even though it was about 60 degrees out, much of the trails were still covered in snow! There were a few sandy areas though and we even loped a little. Remington had an awesome sliding stop in the deep sand!

When we got back to the trailer we unsaddled and led them over to a sandy spot to let them roll! They loved that, especially Nash, I've never seen a horse roll over as many times as he did.

These mustangs sure don't seem like the wild horses we met back in January.

I will be sure to post photos as soon as I get them, until then, here is a video of a trail course we set up today... Remington has so much room for improvement, but I can't complain. I never got his spin to where I wanted it, and his head set is nonexistent, but he does everything I ask him to do and tries so hard, how could I want anything more??




5 comments:

Tracey said...

Looking good, Jessie! I've never seen the barrel and pole deal before; looks like a good obstacle.

Have you tried walking Remington into his spin? Circles that just get smaller and smaller until he's turning? Looks like he's lacking just a little forward motion; otherwise he's doing well. Calm and quiet...you're right, what more could you ask for?

Will someone be there taping the event for us? I'm really hoping so, lol!

I'm Mikey said...

I think he looks great! You two are doing so well together!! You're just about ready!
We are excited for you!!!

Callie said...

I saw some of the pics over at Jessi and Nash, soundslike you girls had a great trail ride! Still looking forward to meeting you two. We've decided to go on Friday, though, so hope to see you then!

Jessie said...

Thanks everyone!!

Tracey, he does lots better when I walk into the spin, but when I ask from a standstill he steps behind, especially to the right. I suppose just keep practicing right??

I will have someone to video for you!! :-) I wouldn't leave everyone hanging!

Mikey, I am glad you think we're almost ready, because I have my doubts!!

Callie, Friday works out just fine, I will be there all day. The competition is from 11:30 to 2:00 on Friday, but I'm not sure when I will be going exactly...

Natural Horseman Sonny Garguilo said...

Jess I havent really posted here because I forgot the password!lol
Anyway I made a new one.
I think you are awesome and will do great! I want to thank you for all the time you spent keeping us lazy trainer updated! I used the count down so many times!

See you in WI! Good Luck! Keep workin hard!

Sonny