Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Looking Forward to Summer!

Over at MidWestHorse they listed off 10 reasons they're looking forward to Spring. That really got me wishing for warmer weather, so I thought I'd follow suit and list my 10 things. However, I am more of a Summer person so I'll just go ahead and list what I love about Summer!

1. Trail riding of course!! Can it get any better than being out on the trail with a good horse and good friends?? I think not...


2. Dry, mud-free, Australian Shepherds... yes I'm just about sick of smelling wet dog... I don't think that smell will ever leave my car. Of course I don't mind taking the dogs to the lake in the Summer, it doesn't count when I get the Aussies wet on purpose!!



3. Speaking of lakes... what's more fun than swimming?? Swimming with your horse of course!! :-) There is a creek across from my uncle's place that is great fun in the summer.



4. Team roping! My uncle is a team roper and I always have a good time watching them practice. It's also fun to help bring the cattle back down to the chutes after a set!



5. Shiny horses!! Oh how I wish Remington was as slicked up as my mare is in this photo...



6. Camping! Although the last 2 times I've been camping there has been pretty severe weather... at least when you camp in a tent. Like, what are you supposed to do when it's so bad that the park ranger drives around with a megaphone telling everyone that is in a tent that they shouldn't be in a tent due to the severe lightning storm?!?! Where do you go?? (we stayed in the tent) I think it's time I get one of those fancy gooseneck trailers with full living quarters... I can dream.

7. The Dells! Oh my, if you've never been to the Wisconsin Dells you are missing out. I love going there in the summer, whether it's to go to a water park, or just to walk around down town.

8. Frosty Freeze!! They have the best strawberry ice cream cones.

9. Just being outside. How I miss being able to walk outside without adding ten layers of clothing first.

10. Realizing that without Winter, Summer would NEVER feel this good.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming... ( I know I'm a dork, you don't have to tell me!)

Remington is doing just fine! We are perfecting the gate work and continuing the spin. He is stepping behind himself to the right, so I've got plenty to work on, but it's coming. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get him anywhere this weekend as we're picking up hay on Saturday and Easter is on Sunday. I will be sure to get some video though :-)




7 comments:

Callie said...

Iknow and have you heard, possibly 6 inches of snow on friday?....Ick! I'm going to the Midwest Horse Fair on the Saturday, I'll look for you. That'll be the second day of the challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing it! Good Luck!

Jessie said...

Oh, don't remind me! I can't believe after most everything melts, we'll be getting more!!!

Tracey said...

Sounds like a great list. We're still getting dustings of snow across the road, but I'm just a wee bit lower so while I see flakes, I get mud...

Are you getting too excited yet? Ready to pee your pants??? Rem is looking good. Keep up the good work! Do you have any local nibbles from anyone interested in taking him?

Jessica Schmitt said...

Hey yeah we totally need to go camping at your uncles again this summer and deffinatly more trail riding. Can never get to much of that maybe with our new guys DREAMING i know but hey if there where no dreams where would we be?!?!?!?

Jessie said...

Tracey, I am getting nervous, not excited!! I just want to do the patterns well, I could care less if I make it into the top 10!!

I wish someone around here would adopt him, but so far, no interest. The horse market really is no good in these parts. I will be curious to see how much these guys go for. I keep thinking I can bid on Remington if he goes for under $500... but then again, I would have no place to keep him unless I sold one of my other horses. Such dilemmas :-(

Jess, we do need to go riding more often, maybe we can get a ride in before the horse fair on our boys...

Chris & Bill said...

You're far from a dork! We just love reading your stories. Sounds like you're speaking in person.
Keep up the good work with Reminton! You two work as one!

Jessie said...

Thank you Chris and Bill! I am glad you are enjoying the blog.