Sunday, February 24, 2008

Nothing new to report...

I don't have much of anything to report this weekend. We've just been continuing on with the basics. I am getting a little frustrated because I have nowhere to canter him, but I shouldn't worry about it. I am hoping if I get him soft at the walk and the trot, the lope will be a piece of cake, but who knows...

Yesterday I was horribly impulsive and went out to buy a new saddle with my tax refund... Silly me. I am happy with my purchase though. It is a reining saddle, I rode Rem in it yesterday, but I think I'll stick with my roping saddle on him for a while longer... I feel much more secure in that one. My new saddle is perfect for my App mare though, I feel like I can communicate much better through this new saddle.





Well since I don't have too much to talk about I think I'll throw out a question to my fellow trainers as well as my readers! What are your thoughts on how to turn out these wild mustangs? I can't decide if I should body clip him or just work hard with a brush at shedding him out. I really would like to have him slicked up for the show, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get all that hair off by April. So, trainers, what are your plans for the condition score?? I'm sure some of the horses are under lights. Readers, what are your thoughts?? Clip or brush?? I don't have much experience with body clipping, so I would probably need help... *cough*Tara*cough* But would he get a shiny coat after a body clip?? Oh my I am just so indecisive, so I need help!! Please leave comments!!! :-)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta brush him, he's a Mustang!!!

Jessie said...

Yay! One vote for brushing :-)

Anonymous said...

I'd recommend brushing too. They can shed out pretty fast with constant attention. My horse is already starting to shed.

Anonymous said...

Got to Brush. Hey can we see some pics of you? All the one I have seen you are bundled up to the hilt. Maybe some swimwear? We don't have to tell your boyfriend

Katee said...

My gelding up here in Minnesota is no where near shedding out. I think clipping would be nice. Hopefully it warms up quickly for you and melts all that snow.

Jessie said...

3 to 1 for brushing huh? Well, my horses, like Katee's usually don't start really shedding until the end of April. They aren't losing much hair right now.

And as for anonymous poster number 3, you are SOL if you want to see me in swimwear :-) sorry.

Danee said...

I don't think I'm going to clip Rave! I do have him blanketed. Maybe we'll do lights...Nah!!!

Dena Plendl said...

Jessie - My mustang is under lights and in a heated barn... which makes life a little easier since we have been below zero for so many weeks. If you don't have access to a heated or insulated barn and you body clip then you will have to blanket and possibly double blanket to keep him warm depending upon your facility. My advice.... put a blanket and hood on him and just keep brushing. Dena Plendl

Andrea said...

I like Dena's advice. The blanket ought to help him shed. And have you ever used a shedding block? I think Farnam makes them. They are WONDERFUL for removing loose hair. I actually use a grill cleaning block I bought at a restaurant supply, then cut into usable pieces. Much cheaper.

(I think he looks just dandy as-is, but then I'm no show judge!)

Callie said...

Wow, I didn't realize you were a next door neighbor, I too am counting down to the horse fair, which this year I am going come hell or high water. Howdy neighbor!

Anonymous said...

I used to show mustangs at all mustang shows and 3 out of the 4 years we won best groomed with the judge saying that this is a mustang you don't trim their fetlock or the ears, or trim the wiskers. They wouldn't look that way naturally so why impose something on them that is not the natural way of the mustang. So I say I'm all for a little elbow grease in the brushing!!!

Jessie said...

Thank you all for the comments! I have decided to go with the majority and BRUSH! He really is starting to shed, so my arm will probably be sore for the next couple weeks :-)