Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Into the Unknown...

...more like, into the barn! Yep, today we did it. It was COLD outside! I mean, turn the snot in your nose to ice, cold. So there was only one way Remington was going to be worked, and that was in the barn out of the cold! Well not really out of the cold... but at least out of the wind.

He was excellent and walked all the way up to the barn like a gentlemen. Once at the opening he took a good long look, but followed me when asked. The scariest part was all the barrels laying around inside the arena. Especially the black one!

Once inside I did a bit of longeing but he was a little too nervous to accomplish much on the end of the longe, so I decided to work on leading. He is getting really good, and with the help of my driving whip he's learning to stay at my shoulder instead of following far behind like in the video. I am also able to pick up all four feet with my hands! I don't ask him to hold them for too long, but I think tomorrow I'll get the hoof pick and have at 'em. They are caked full of poo.

I will have lots to show on this weekend's video!

4 comments:

Jilly Bean said...

Way to go! Hang in there, it will start getting easier! Cannot wait to meet both you and Remington!

Katee said...

We've got arctic air heading our way up here in MN so I totally feel your "snot freezing" pain. I'm glad Remington was a good boy and walked into the barn with a minimum of fuss. He seemed really curious and intrigued by you in the video clips--I think that's a great sign!

Christy said...

That's fantastic Jesse! He's progressing really well so far! Congrats!

Tracey said...

Man, I hate when my snot freezes while still in my nose! Makes it tough to breath...

Sounds like Rem is coming right along. :)